Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Angel Food Cake

I made my mom's birthday cake this year. She wanted angel food cake and fruit in a 9x13. Since I didn't have fruit and couldn't get out that day (I don't think I had a car) I made do with just an angel food cake. From scratch! This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
1 1/2 c. egg whites (10-12 large)
1 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 c. sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. sugar
Bring egg whites to room temperature. Sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times. In a large bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed til soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. (If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl.) Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths.
To fold in flour, cut down through the mixture, then across the bottom and up and over the top.


Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack in a 350* oven for 40-45 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake. Makes 12 servings.

I used a thin icing for the top and it was just delicious. But, I could tell that there wasn't any salt in the cake. It didn't call for salt and my parents said they couldn't tell, but I could. I might add about 1/2 tsp. salt (to the cake) when making it again.
Powdered Sugar Icing
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
milk or orange juice
Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 Tablespoon milk. Stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, till of drizzling consistency. Makes 1/2 cup or enough to drizzle over one 10-inch tube cake. (Let cake stand 2 hours before slicing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment